Re: Alternative to Linn/MultiRoom etc was

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Alternative to Linn/MultiRoom etc was
  • From: "bensbarn2001" <ben_wilkinson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:02:37 -0000

Thanks a lot for this Paul.  No cash spent yet so I'm still working
on this and will follow up on Elan.

Coincidentally, I also saw Dave McLaughlin's touch sensitive computer
today and will ask him (if he doesn't see this) if the screen can be
separated from the PC part.  I still think this should be done
digitally (and maybe Elan do that), so the idea of having a networked
PC in the ceiling of all controlled rooms with touch sensitive screen
mounted on the wall is very attractive.  It seems you can easily get
a digital output card for a PC which would then feed input over
S/PDIF interface to a high-quality (digital input) amplifier thence
to the rooms.  So all CDs could then reside on a central server,
pulled to any local PC.  The PC user interface might be the only bit
of work I need to do.  So I'm going to see where this path leads also.

Regards,

Ben

> Hi Ben,
>
> If you haven't parted with your cash already, take a look at
> http://www.elanhomesystems.com , they have a couple of products,
one
> a basic 6 source/six zone system the other a very sophisticated
> solution for 24 zones (8 sources). You can also add some
> automation/video.
>
> Equipement control is via IR pass thru from learning keypads or
touch
> panels.
>
> A basic six zone system (pre + power amps) apparantly comes in at
> around $5K + plus keypads etc in the US, the more expensive HD
system
> starts at around $8K.
>
> They also have a PC based software solution for controlling Sony or
> Dennon multiplayers  via the "Via Touch panels"
>
> They also have the ability to do 230/240V units for international
> customers as well as someone in the UK distributing
>
> If you want more info email mmurray@e...
> (International sales)
>
> He is currently trying to find me a dealer in the bay area who I
can
> pay a visit to find out more.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul