RE: Combi boiler or pressurised cylinder?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Combi boiler or pressurised cylinder?
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:54:47 +0100

Tim,

I have had no experience with condenser boilers personally so I can only tell you what I’ve been told by people in the trade and both plumbers/heating engineers, that do a lot of installs, I know don’t seem to rate them for whatever reason.

A combi *should* deliver hot water at mains pressure anyway all you need to do is get a decent balanced shower valve, the one downside is that is some bugger turns on a tap at the other end of the house it invariably affects the temperature, although knowing your circumstance Tim my guess is you won’t give a hoot about that ;-)

In my last house I had no header tank or hot water tank at all with a Vokera combi installed. The only reason for a cold tank was to flush the loo in case the mains went at any stage as the plumber insisted I leave it in, just in case, turns out he was kind of right on that score. The point being you can do away with all the headers etc. using a combi-boiler therefore, logically, every water supply in the house is working on mains pressure.

I had a Mira balanced valve shower that had mains pressure it and was fed by the combi, it was superb, highly recommended.

HTH

K.