RE: Max cable length ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Max cable length ?
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:24:56 +0100

    There was a computer fare in Huddersfield Sports centre this last Sunday (next is 9th June) - they had a lot of cables there, but overall it was a very poor show - The best prices on (screened) monitor cables were 1m/£3, 3m/£4 and 5m/£5 - there were USB cables of similar lengths for about £3 length 5m. There is a length restriction on USB , particularly for un-powered USB devices - however as the KVM is powered I think 5m might work ok - will let you know.

    Re the monitor cable lengths, there are some awful 'non screened' cables very cheap (and very thin) , the cables I bought are coaxial screened but still probably poor quality, there are also quite expensive cables available that work quite well up to many metres I believe. I think it's a case of try it and see.

    My experience has been that different graphics cards seem to give different results - a cable that worked fine on my HP PC over 5m gave a ghosting type effect on my ATI card with the same monitor, same resolution. I'll let you know how the 3m and 5m cables perform. There were no cables there longer than 5m so I guess this is the max without typically hitting a problem.

    I did see a very long cable once, made by a professional KVM manufacturer - some 25m I believe that was as thick as a wrist made specifically for KVM's and claiming excellent quality although it was nearly £100. This was aimed at the output side of their switch (i.e. the monitor side) so they may well have had special electronics for driving this length built into the switch.

    Kevin - I take it there was still a unit left after by PCW raid then ;)