RE: House in self-defence mode...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: House in self-defence mode...
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:28:35 +0100

> Now, I'm interested if burglar gets hurt by such action,
> can he sue you? What's the legal aspect of that?

The simple answer is yes. Any person on your property with or without your
permission who gets injured can sue you for damages.

Although it may seem weird, it is all down to occupier's liability and can
work in your favour. For example, in one case a woman sued her own husband
when she fell through their conservatory roof and was injured. His insurance
then paid her damages.

In the case of a burglar, whether or not they would report the crime is
obviously questionable since they would either have to admit attempted
burglary and be prosecuted accordingly or create a very sound reason for
being on the property. However, it would not be advisable to take the chance
that they would not report an injury incurred on your property.

> There was a case last year or year before where guy shot some
> burglairs and ended in jail,

Whole different ball game really. Apart from the legality of the shooting,
whatever the circumstances, there is a concept of reasonable force when
removing a trespasser. Shooting them, is not reasonable force.

There are a number cases where a property owner is prosecuted for actual
bodily harm (original term, possibly covered under the newer assault terms
these days which replaced the more widely known ABH, GBH, etc) for forcibly
removing a trespasser and failing the test of reasonable force.

HTH.

Mark.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!