RE: Exchange 5.5 POP3

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Exchange 5.5 POP3
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:57:47 +0100

aha! the enemy!

Of course, any good ISP will be more than happy to allow it's own Mail
servers to act as SMTP mailhosts for a customer's domain, without insisting
that they become registrar for the domain, handle the webhosting, and become
the domain's technical contacts as well, whilst charging arm+leg for the
privilege...

It's my experience in most cases that POP3 collection is a back stop to help
customers get round "no can do" attitudes from ISPs.

As an example, Demon Internet's ADSL Express service now has no SMTP Mail
delivery option (even though their ISDN Dial-up DOES!!!) Their techs are so
wonderfully helpful that they will also refuse to change the MX record for
the domain to point at the static-IP of the ADSL line, with the secondary MX
remaining their mail server, leaving the customer with only the POP3
collection option.

There are cowboys, yes, I make a living fixing many of the worst examples of
hat and horse activities, but those cowboys are just as likely to be working
*INSIDE* the ISP as outside it.. ;)

Ian.