RE: buzz buzz buzz - I wonder why it does?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: buzz buzz buzz - I wonder why it does?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:29:21 +0100

Explanation time - excuse the poor ASCII graphics

Auto Transformer

A transformer with a single winding that has a tapping to obtain a different voltage from the input. Does not provide electrical isolation as the output has a direct connection to the input

L IN -------------------*
                          *
                          *
240V                  *------------------------- L out
                          *
                          *                         120V
                          *
N IN -------------------*------------------------N Out

A conventional transformer has two physically separate winding and provided isolation

L IN -------------------*
                          *
                          *    *--------------- L out
240V                  *     *
                          *    *          120V
                          *    *
                          *    *----------------N Out
N IN -------------------*

A site transformer is an isolation transformer designed for use on a building SITE (guess where the name comes from!)
Because of the often wet environment the output is centre tapped and tied to ground. This limits the maximum voltage to earth to half of the output voltage. Most shocks are from a single conductor to earth so this is an extra safety feature

L IN -------------------*
                          *
                          *    *--------------- L out --------- 55V L to earth
240V                  *     *
                          *    *------- Earth              110V across L and N
                          *    *

THe HUM comes from the rattling of the transformer core laminations moving in the magnetic field of the transformer. All transformers will hum to some extent but it depends on the quality. Some have laminations held together by a weld across the centre, others are bolted together and the bolts can sometimes be tightened slightly to reduce the humming

A site transformer is probably not as tightly laminated as a transformer designed for equipment used in an office/home. I doubt you would hear the hum over the sound of a dumper truck or cement mixer :-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv