[OT] 4.1 Audio from sound card + Amps (small)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] 4.1 Audio from sound card + Amps (small)
  • From: "Steve D" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:31:08 +0100

Hi,

I have just setup some cheapo speakers I had lying around as rear stereo
speakers as my sound card has an output for "Rear Stereo". I have wired the
speakers back to the computer (speaker wire) and "fixed" them to a stereo
plug, and plugged them in, low n behold, they a VERY quiet! I just realised
I need an amp, I am looking for a preferably small and low cost amp which
will probably only need to control one stereo line I/O.

Well that's the first question, now here's the second.
Once that is done, I will have 5 speakers plugged into my computer, the
sound card is a "Genius SM Live Series PCI" card, IT has two stereo outputs
and two inputs (one mic).
Plugged into the front stereo out, I have some Logitech speakers, this has a
sub woofer (I think) and two satellite speakers left and right. I also now
have the additional speakers via the rear stereo socket.
My question is, could this be classified as some form of surround sound? Or
is the "rear" socket on my sound card just the same as the "front" socket?
It says on the box that it supports 4.1 sound, does this mean when I play
back dvd's they will be in 4.1 sound?

That's all.

Thanks

Steve D