RE: MP3 or WMA

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: MP3 or WMA
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:24:25 +0100

From: Richard Malcolm-Smith [mailto:rich@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 14 April 2002 03:35
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ukha_d] MP3 or WMA

>I find MP3 at between 96 and 128 indistinguishable from each other -
>they are all awful.. 160 is ok for most stuff but 192 is better. I have
>on a couple of tracks heard problems at 192 that went away at 256.

Richard,
I am curious, simply because your results differ so wildly from my own.

Some Questions:
Have you done this listening as a blind trial, with someone else selecting
the tracks encoded at different bitrates for you?

What equipment are you listening on? I am wondering if you specifically have
many A-D D-A stages along the signal path, or perhaps are going from optical
to copper and back or some such.

I am also wondering what the MP3 playback device is, as I have noticed
considerable difference between (say) an MP3 Player in a Car to a good PC
Sound Card

>I figure that HDD space is getting cheaper and cheaper and cheaper and
>just do all the new stuff at 320. Its a shame that most of the stuff you
>find online is at 128 and done in a shitty shitty encoder..

I maintain an MP3 archive, and whilst, yes, HDD Space is getting cheaper, I
find anything above 160 becomes problematic. Our archive takes about 190Gb,
and is about 80% 128kbps. At 192 that rises to an earth shattering 270Gb.

As an aside, many of the worst (in quality rather than content) MP3 files I
have ever encountered have been "looney tunes" bitrates, like 320, and sound
appalling on anything. a really good encoder like LAME at 160 will blow away
a 320+ donkey-rip 110% of the time.

As always the advice is suck it and see, and if this works for you, then it
works for you!! I would advise otehrs not to go down the same route if they
can at all avoid it.

Ian.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor