Re: Cheap projector

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cheap projector
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk1" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:25:21 -0000

Ian,

Bear in mind I'm NOT a lawyer. My job requires me to know a bit of
law, though, so here's my layman's understanding:

In this particular case, the terms and conditions say that the vendor
may, at any time up till the moment he debits the Credit Card offered
for payment, change the price. Obviously, the customer has the right
to refuse the new price, and I'm guessing that most people today
would ;-)

Even were that term not there, the vendor might decide not to honour
the contract, and it would be down to the purchaser to take the
matter to court to force the vendor to do so.

Were the courts to decide that a contract HAD been made on the
strength of the automated reply, the vendor could furthermore only be
required to honour the contract if the purchaser entered into the
contract in "good faith", ie - believing that the price advertised
was genuine and not an honest offer or mistake.

The British legal system uses the principle of the "reasonable man"
to determine whether this was likely - ie would a reasonable man
believe it was a genuine offer.

In the case of the Kodaks, most of the arguments centred around the
fact that Kodak's advertising suggested this was a special offer, and
that other digital cameras were available at around the offer price.
Therefore it was reasonable to believe that a company such as Kodak
had made the offer of a camera at that price, and the buyers had
entered into the contract in good faith.

In the Argos TV's case, it was, AIUI, found that the "reasonable man"
would not have really believed that Argos was selling tellys for a
tenner, and could reasonably have been expected to work out it was a
typo. (ie - be treated as a typo in a mail-order catalogue.)

In this case, it is hard to believe that, in a page selling other
items for 4-figure prices, this item was genuinely being offered at
shippng-only cost.

Mark's prediction - no way would you get the projector for nowt. Any
judge would laugh you out of court.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Is there not also a distinction of having sent a confirmation of
order?

> So, having confirmed, the leqal position moves from offer of sale,
> payment offered, and on to offer accepted?
>
> I doubt projectors FOC was ever a goer, just wondering?
>
> Ian.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor