Re: Frontpage ->IIS 5 with SQL Server Question

Hi John,

No idea about FrontPage, I'm afraid, but.......

2 files, front HTML page and query/result display ASP page

HTML file includes this:-
<FORM method="GET" action="result.asp">
Job Number
<INPUT Name="JOBID">
Serial Number
<INPUT Name="SERIAL1">
<INPUT type="Submit">

On the ASP page (result.asp)

<%
Jobid = Request.QueryString("JOBID)
Serial1 = Request.QueryString("SERIAL1")

If JobID<>"" then
      strSQL="Select * from jobs where jobid=" & JobID
elseif Serial1<>"" then
      strSQL="Select * from jobs where serial1='" & Serial1 & "'"
elseif
      'there's no data! alert the user
      response.write "Nothing to look for"
      response.end
end if

'things to open recordset on strSQL etc etc

%>

This is using GET rather than POST as it gives the option of passing URL
  based paramaters (well, its how it works.....!) so an email can say

To view status of job, click this http://server/result.asp?jobid=123

Which wont work if you do POST.... if you use POST, you need to change
Request.Querystring for I think request.form.... not totally sure about
that.... will have to look it up...!

HTH

Doogie

Dr John Tankard wrote:
> Ok I have knocked up a simple web site the retrieve data (recipes in
> this case) from my server.
>
> What I want to know is how can I pass a user typed in selection and get
> FrontPage to incorporate it into a SQL query. I can see its easy to set
> a asp to get data from SQL server with the selection determined at
> design time, but wats the method used for doing it at runtime ?
>
> John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor