Jreceiver docs: MySQL installation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Jreceiver docs: MySQL installation
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:50:39 +0100

As before, this MUST be read in conjunction with the jreceiver site (http://jreceiver.sourceforge.net), since it assumes that you'll have read the "white bits"!

 REQUEST FOR HELP:

There's a bit missing about registering the correct "flavour" (huge, medium, small) etc. which needs to be stuck in BEFORE the mysqlfront is run. I can't for the life of me remember what it was, and now mySql's installed, can't make it come up with the right dialog boxes.... It would be really useful if someone could do a MySql service install and tell me what's missing!

CHANGES SINCE LAST VERSION:

1: Explanatory note about the Dba vs. JReceiver users when creating Dba.

2: ".... create database with GUI .... more to follow ..." replaced with something a bit more useful.

3: Remaining "..." text bit re-written to take into account that, installing this way round, the user hasn't actually GOT the SQL script to create the database yet ;-(

4: Final "..." bit about putting MySQL into the startup replaced with something more useful.

DRAFT FOR COMMENT:

[WINDOWS]

JReceiver is known to be stable with release 3.23 of MySQL on Windows 2000. Any infomration about stability with prior releases would be appreciated.

MySql provide a Windows binary in a ZIP file. It is assumed that you already have a tool for reading Zip files. Save and unzip the file to a temporary directory. Then run setup.exe. Install a "typical" installation to the folder of your choice.

Once MySql is installed, run <directory>/bin/winmysqladmin, and create a username and password for the database administrator. (It is important to note that this username and password are for database administration only. You will (later) be creating a different user with more restricted security rights. This restricted user is actually used by the JReceiver software to run. It is possible to run JReceiver directly using the administrator account, but very bad security practice.)

If this is succesful, you will see a green traffic light icon in the system tray.

MySQL does not come, as standard, with a Windows GUI that makes running SQL scripts easy. Several are avaiable, but these instructions are written to accompany MySQLFront from http://www.anse.de/mysqlfront/

Save MySQLFront to a temporary directory, and run it at the end of installation. Create a New Connection, with the database administrator username and password you created above.

Within MySQLFront, select "root" and right-click. Select "Create Database", and give the new database the name "jreceiver".

.... stuff about the SQL script and the user manager goes here .... Use MySQLFront logged in as the DBA to run SQL in the right database... Important difference from the Linux one is that it seems to work best with _THREE_ users, jreceiver_app@localhost, ...@<IP ADDRESS>, ...@<CLIENT NAME>, not just the two. If I understood windows naming deeply, I could probably sort this out, however this is simple ;-)

Finally, make sure MySQL automatically runs whenever you log in as follows:

(Note - this won't work until the missing bit in the "request for help" at the top is done....)

- Go to the desktop, right-mouse-button on "My Computer", and select "Manage"

- Select Services and Applications, and then select "Services"

- In the right hand window, scroll down until you see "MySQL", and double click on it

- Ensure that the "startup type" is set to automatic.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor