RE: Conduit installation

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Conduit installation
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:16:58 -0400

I've just done something very similar. I hired a wall chaser (a bit like this one: http://www.tool-up.co.uk/exec/toolup/AEGDME30.html?id=3DqRRn9F= oU ).
This cuts two slots a (variable) distance apart - you then have to chisel out the waste. You can also vary the depth of cut. It cost me =A334 plus = =A35
for a 110V transformer for the weekend, all plus VAT from Farnborough tool<= BR> hire, highly recommended. I cut all of the runs (approx 15) in one day.

Having used this I'd never go back to doing it by hand. The edges of the channel were neat and chiselling out the "middle" was very easy -= about an
hour for a ceiling to floor drop when you get used to doing it. The
downsides are that it doesn't cut all the way to the ceiling (blades are se= t
back from the front of the tool) so there's still some manual chiselling to=
do, and it's extremely dusty, even with a vacuum connected.

I've not used the SDS chisels but imagine they would make the process even<= BR> quicker.

Based on my experiences with hand-chiselling for back boxes I'd get the box=
sinker next time (certainly for anything more than 3 or 4 boxes).

Re Conduit. I was also going to install 20 or 25mm round but went for
25x16mm with a clip-on lid from TLC
(http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Trunking_Pvc_Index/Min= iTrunking_2/in
dex.html). This was for straight runs only as I have access at the top of each chased run. This worked well - pull the cable then clip on the lid. I've run Cat5, speaker, coax and mains in this conduit (tho' not all in the=
same one, always keep mains separate)

I hope to post some pics soon, but feel free to ask more questions.

HTH,

Tim.

Message: 15
   From: "Aidan Williamson"

Jumping back threads a way quick question for those who have used SDS
channelling chisels.

Are they worth the cost? Only doing 3 or 4 channels this week, but there's<= BR> going to be lots more eventually.

About to start refurbing my pad, first up the kitchen. Whilst not putting i= n
cat5 yet, I plan to put conduit in while I have the place in pieces. Was going to use 20mm PVC from screw fix both for the cat 5 and the new mains I=
have to run in & wondered if I should get a 30mm chisel at the same tim= e.

Sadly can't justify the cost of a box sinker as I keep spending too much on=
the kit to plug in once the networks there.

Psion landed yesterday & I'm chuffed. all I need now is a hack so I can= get
it to pulse purple not cycle colours (and the Rio's to stream to but that's=
being worked on)

Cheers

A.

+