RE: Linn/MultiRoom etc was Re: SonicBlue now have Rios o n sale in the UK

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linn/MultiRoom etc was Re: SonicBlue now have Rios o n sale in the UK
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:55:53 +0100

> The issues with wiring now without knowing the final solution aren't
> unsolvable, but are a bit messy...
>
> - the RCU box needs to be fixed before plastering and plastering is
> next on the agenda for some rooms.

The backboxes are 'only' a tenner - rip off for a thin bit of metal, but
there you go.
If you install the boxes and wires then no great loss if you end up not
using them - only a tenner a room.

Of course, you do have an unsightly hole in the wall in the mean time :(
I looked at getting a blanking plate but of course, the Linn boxes are non
standard, so no joy there.
What I _could_ have had was fake RCU's, but at 50 quid a pop, I decided it
wasn't worth it.
So some rooms (eg my office) have a hole in the wall with back box & the
others, which will need to be rejigged a bit anyway, just have the wires
sitting in the ceiling spaces ready to drop down when the rooms are done.

> If the KAT5 switcher is going to have all the functionality that you
> need to access multiple devices, seems Keith has a heck of a job on
> his hands.  Ideally it would allow you to control and display tracks
> (names), handle presets on tuners etc, turn things on and off - all
> seems pretty tricky to me (though I'm in the mortal category unlike
> Keith).

Indeedy, and that's why everyone is drooling in anticipation.
As I said before, web control will be nice - and indeed if you can get those
little wall mounted PCs you want, it will be ideal. Failing that though, an
RCU-type jobbie would, IMO, be essential to SWMBO acceptance and user
friendliness for visitors.......

> Tony, the Imerge is integrated into the Linn (in fact they seemed to
> come up with the XIVA database on the net which has all the CD
> titles, track names etc which is downloaded to the RCU).  It's
> cheaper for a 4 output version, but 8 outputs is as much as the Linn
> Arkiv.  Extra disc space for these things is a rip-off.

Ah I see - cool.  I'm currenly looking at bunging a few AudioTrons around
the place and having a dedicated music pc - after all, SWMBO listening to
Abba in the kitchen whilst cooking/ironing isn't really going to give a rats
ass about ultimate music quality :-)

> If I do get the Linn system, I'll attempt to get a copy of the CD for
> both of us.

CD?  Pah - it's a floppy disk mat - containing a VB3 program with a very
poor interface indeed!

cheers,

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com