ADSL Router

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: ADSL Router
  • From: mafiu@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:38:54 +0100 (BST)

I've got an XP prof box at home with an athlon board that uses ICS to connect my lan to ASDL with the blue stingray usb modem.  Since I upgraded my old bx board to the athlon one my ASDL connection has been ropey- and constantly the box drops the connection and the modem telltale in the system tray goes yellow (out of sync with the exchange?) and an error saying no dial tone arrives until the telltale goes blue again.  This means if I'm not by the PC I have no idea whether I've got an internet connection on my lan or not.

Last night while running windows update it downloaded a new driver for the stingray and then I could only hold up the connection for around 20 seconds.  Thankfully xp let me roll back to the other driver.

So I'm considering getting one of those Vigor2200 USB routers to remove the need for my main pc to be turned on.

So the question is are these routers reliable to connect your usb swordfish to you lan?  Do they allow port mapping?  Anyone got any feelings on them?  Should they keep my connection live better than an XP box?

By the way I've now got a spare modem router, that connects your lan to the net via its built in modem.  I'd like to flog that to fund some of the cost of the usb router, if anyone with a standard dialup's interested.

Matthew

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!