Re: London meet - ORGANISATION

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: London meet - ORGANISATION
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:17:00 +0100

> > a) Obviously we will want a 10/100 wired network,
>
>OK.  Won't have Net access though.

No, but I guess we'll have a switch with "x" number of ports free that
people can just wander up to with their own devices, plug in, and download
>from required for demos of various stuff... I can preconfigure the server with
things like Homeseer, ACE server, Girder, DDAR/Audiotron server, and
whatever else people think we might need...

> > b) Do we want to try to set up a WiFi network as well?
>
>Only if it gives us Net access from a near by building :)
>
> > c) Presumably we will require DHCP services and so on
>
>Yep.
>
> > d) We'll require a machine to host Ian's HDD's with the MP3 archive on
>
>Presume Ians drives are in the UKHA standard caddies? :)  If so could the
>machine be built to accept 3 caddies drives, that's Ians two, plus the
>target drive.

Or better still, - mount Ian's drives internally, and leave all the caddy
slots available so people can slot in their blank drives and download from
the archive that way, rather than relying solely on LAN connections. - Plus,
I don't actually *have* any caddies spare at the moment! - if the exact same
ones are still available (Scan was it?) I'll order up a few...

Then people can either bring along an empty hard drive and fill it up via a
disk copy, or they can bring along a laptop and plug in to the LAN...

Paul G.