Re: SonicBlue now have Rios on sale in the UK

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: SonicBlue now have Rios on sale in the UK
  • From: "nsouthga" <lardfest@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:30:59 -0000

Now we've gone down this thread of discussion, I'll share with you my
developments. My WIN2K Server box (an 850Mhz Athlon, 256MB) is
performing the following tasks based around my concept of a
home "services" model, in keeping with the concept of web services ;-)

1) Audio services - MP3 Server (Using the Rio Receiver s/w to Rio 3
Rio clients) Also streaming Radio is possible but not implemented.

2) Video Services - streaming video from server to TV(s)

3) File/Print services for any clients (including terminal services
for the wireless ePod for mobile use)

4) Home Automation Services (running homeseer and the homeseer web
interface)

Stuff planned but not yet implemented.

5) Security services - Comfort installtion and web control

Eveyrthing is co-existing quite happily on the W2K Server, which I
have found to be very stable and well behaved. I've really stressed
the W2K box and it performs really well. IMO, W2K is an ideal
platform for bringing all these different "things" together. I'm sure
as the technology evolves, all these services will become pre-
integrated, but that would take all the fun out of it!

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@b...> wrote:
> Eek!
>
> K.
>
> > The 'core' system without any sources costs enough as it is - eg:
> > 8 source into 8 zone intersekt - about 2.5k
> > RCU per zone - 400 quid
> > Line Receiver per zone - 400 quid
> > Amp per zone - your choice really, but let's say 400 quid again
> > Stereo Speakers per room, again 400 seems a nice figure (no point
> buying 6
> > quid car speakers when you're shelling out this much on kit,
though
> > realistically, soem rooms will probably have 8 grand B&W
stonkers!!!)
> > so 1600 per room = 12800 + 2500 for the intersekt = 15300 just
for the
> > infrastructure - no hifi sources and no sound servers!
> > That, of course, _excludes_ any cabling or installation - which
your
> local
> > dealer will _insist_ on doing @ further great expense :<

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor