RE: Re: SonicBlue now have Rios on sale in the UK

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: SonicBlue now have Rios on sale in the UK
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:17:46 +0100

> Granted, the Linn system probably is very good, for that
> kinda money I'd
> bloody well hope so, but I don't think I'd go down that path even if I
> did have the money, too inflexible for my liking and I don't
> like being
> at the mercy of a single manufacturer should I want to change
> something.

You're not though - Linn provides the infrastructure - the switch and
control mechanisms.
You are free to use any hifi sources you like.
_however_ it is definitely more attractive to use Linn sources - eg:
Linn Tuner as source:  RCU in each zone can read from the keypad what
station is being played & when they change stations, they _know_ it worked
because the tuner tells the system it worked.
Non Linn Tuner: From the RCU you can send IR signals to the tuner - either
with a remote pointing at the RCU or, if it's a supported device, by
pressing station up/down keys on the RCU.  How do you know what station you
are listening to?  You guess.
Did the IR signal get through & change to the right radio station?  You have
to listen and find out.

In terms of flexibility, each zone can have 3 local sources that work only
in that room as well as an input from the multiroom source.
IR routing is built in to control non linn sources.

A big disadvantage of a Linn style multiroom system in the home is that I
want to listen to 'proper' music in the office, whislt SWMBO wants to listen
to Abba or some such pants in the kitchen.  All the CD's are in one Jukebox
- who wins?  SWMBO of course!!
It would be a lot simpler and cheaper for us to have our own CD
players/radios/amp etc in each room than it is to have the Linn.
Of course, moving to AudioTron's etc will solve this problem as the CD's can
be basically scrapped!
Where everyone wants to listen to the same thing on a single source of
course, this is not a problem.....
Maybe I need a SWMBO with better taste :)

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!