Re: OT SBS 2K

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT SBS 2K
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:30:47 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Tony Tofts" <home@t...> wrote:
> Forgot to mention, Exchange Server 2000 seems more unstable than
previous
> version  - expect more reboots :-)

I have actually found Exchange 2K to be very stable, in fact I had
not had an 'unexpected' reboot since installing SBS 2K whereas the
previous version caused so many problems that I refused to install it
at home.

I say '*had* not had' because March was the worst month I have ever
had for computing problems after over 13 years in the industry. Here
is my sorry tale:

1. The system hard disk (one of the now infamous IBM Deskstars) died
in my SBS server. Although I had all my data on a different disk and
also backed up onto a different machine, I had not backed up exchange
so consequently all of my mail, contacts, calendar (and all of
Orla's) was wiped out.

2. I managed to save the priv1.edb (exchange database file) but
searching on the net seemed to indicate that this was no use without
the priv1.stm (streaming) files that goes with it and that file was
well and truly mashed by one of the many bad sectors on my very
unpleasant sounding hard disk.

3. I decided that 1. was never going to happen to me again so ordered
disks, controller and hot swap caddies to set up Raid 5 on the server
when I rebuilt it. These took over a week to arrive. I will also be
backing up exchange in future.

4. I went on a one day business trip to the Netherlands and was
forced to put my 'pilot case' in the hold because it was apparently
too big (though I have taken it as hand luggage numerous times before
and on the return flight the next day!). When I got to Schipol, my
bag was late coming off the belt and upon checking my laptop was
gone. It belonged to my employers and was password protected from
bios so I wasn't too bothered, other than having to 'wing it' during
the presentation that day. However on returning to the office and
obtaining a new laptop, it transpired that my weekly backups had not
worked since the end of January!

5. I went off to Ireland for Easter, leaving my SBS server
(temporarily rebuilt without the raid 5) downloading and sorting my
email in my absence. When I returned I found that the PSU for the
Router had failed about 4 hours after I left and consequently SBS had
not downloaded any email as it could not connect to the internet.

6. On Saturday I finally had time to sort everything out and at last
something went right. Another more detailed search of google turned
up a method of creating a priv1.stm file from a priv1.edb file. I
created the file, then went through a very convoluted process of
creating exchange exactly as it was before, dismounting the new
database, copying over the saved database, remounting and then
exporting to pst files. Finally I had a pst file for me and one for
Orla with all our exchange stuff complete. I then went on to install
the raid stuff, wipe out the server and do a full re-install. The
server is now rebuilt with raid 5 and 3 hot swap caddies. The router
has a new power supply. Email is once more being processed by
exchange whilst I am at work. All is calm again.

In 13 years this is the first time a hard disk has really failed on
me (I've lost the odd file through corruption but the disk has always
survived). This is also the first time I have ever had a laptop
stolen. It is the second time I have had a power supply fail in
normal operation. Certainly not a lucky month!

Regards

Graham

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!