RE: Re: (ukha_d) PSION WaveFinder - Software & Streaming

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: (ukha_d) PSION WaveFinder - Software & Streaming
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:46:55 +0100

Two questions spring to mind

1. How long is a piece of string
2. Where do you live. (if you are in Manchester etc forget it !)

Radio waves travel in straight lines and over a certain distance the curvature of the earth gets in the way, not to mention manmade objects and hills/mountains.

The critical factors are

1. The height of the transmitter
2. the height of the receiving aerial
3. the distance a to b and wether anything is blocking it
4. the strength of the received signal
5. is there anything else on that frequency that may swamp it.

Dont forget that radio bandwidth is a precious commodity and they tend to reuse the same frequencies once they get outside the designed reception area plus a small safety margin. That is why freak weather in the summer causes so much co-channel interference due to signals travelling much further than they should. Its also why I get loads of continental staions in the summer months but tend to loose my designated UK transmitters.

GRRR !!!!!

Working from home today and listening to Classic Gold on SKY Digital and they just ran an advert saying

"Dont buy an ordinary radio....buy a DIGITAL one"
" You dont know what you are missing"

YES I DO...........  BASTARDS !!!!!!!!!

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk