Re: Newbie assistance....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Newbie assistance....
  • From: Jerome O'Donohoe <jerome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 17:33:58 +0100

On 6/4/02 4:47 pm, "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, and no..
>
> Firstly, all your wireless remotes and the TM12 need to be on the same
> housecode.

Yep, got that now and I have my simple macros working.

> One thing to be aware of: if you set the PC to act on a received X-10
> command, and the action includes sending another X-10 command, you need to
> pause for a half second or so. because X-10 is massively redundant, the PC
> has recognised the command whilst the controller is still sending it, and if
> the PC starts sending too soon, a collision happens, and both "talkers" can
> end up just battering at each other..

It's just the CM12 issuing commands along with the TM12, I'm not using the
PC "live".  It is amazingly "redundant" though...on a macro with the TM12 as
an app module, after receiving the remote command, there's a 2 second lag,
then one light goes on, then another, with the TM12 6 seconds later! But I'm
sure you're all aware of this, just surprised me.

> As for the Mac, don't these infernal machines have an industry standard
> RS232 interface? it *should* be as simple as getting a convertor from a real
> DB9 down to that mini-din nonsense, and you are off... (with suitable
> OS-Bigot disdain ;) )

Older macs do have a mini-din, my iMac has only USB, which is now the
industry standard, just that HA controller manufacturers haven't noticed. I
have a DB9 keyspan adaptor for USB, which I think may not be fully wired
which may be the problem.  As for OS bigotry, if it's Windoze you're
enthusiastic about, be assured I have a much happier time with all my other
apps than you do :-) OS X you see...it's greeeeeeeeat!

Thanks for the advice...and no, I'm not up for an OS flame war! :-) Life is
too short for that, much like getting things to work with Windows!

Jerome

--
"Ready...Fire...Aim..."

Jerome O'Donohoe, Re-recording Mixer. London, UK.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!