Re: OT: Mr Tonks TIVO

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: Mr Tonks TIVO
  • From: Richard Malcolm-Smith <rich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 22:49:41 +1200

Des Gibbons wrote:

> No, I wasn't aware that there was any difference to the broadcast standard
> between the UK and NZ, doh!
>
> Do you know what the broadcast standard is here, one of the PAL variants I
> presume? My tv's and videos have just arrived, hope they are not going to be
> useless!

We are PAL B on the VHF, and G on the UHF.. will they even do VHF??

> > Do let me
> > know how you get on with it, as if it works Ok i might look at sourcing
> > one of them.
>
> Doesn't look like Mr Tonks is available, so doubt I will be able to get one
> after all :/

Ah well. There are sites saying that the US ones can be made to do PAL
on the AV in and out, but i really want the tuner to work as everything
(to me) looks much better on the analog off air VHF then on sky
digital.. damn cheap MPEG crap..

> >  As its not released here and everyone knows what they are I
> > would be the envy of every one at work if I had one.. even better if it
> > actually worked.
>
> Well, it is really not that great without the daily updates, but I wnat one
> anyway ;)

If someone can crack the format that it gets the guide in then it would
be a winner.. There are many sources of guide information electronically
(Cough.. www.sky.co.nz) that it would be viable. I recall someone saying
that there FTA sat box was getting guide info from the sky transponders
so there may be a chance with a PCI sat reciever card to get the same
info, then its just a matter of getting it into the tivo. Im not to
worried about the recommendations as I know what I want ;)

> > Also, dunno if it would control sky in NZ, theres an RS232 port on the
> > back of the boxes but I have no idea if it would even use that.
>
> >From memory it uses IR for control of sky, probably not comaptible also the
> way this is going :)

I hate IR.. The sky NZ boxes with the open TV shit in them are so slow
and miss keypresses so often that it would be unreliable as hell..

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor