RE: Patch panel accessibility

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Patch panel accessibility
  • From: "Lee" <lee@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:41:41 +0100

>My only rationale for chosing the loft was the fact that it's the only
>available space I had!!!  Admittedly it's far from perfect - heat, access
>etc. but it is just inside the hatch - so I can stand on a chair and
>re-patch.  The ADSL router and WAP are located there too.  Otto, my server
>currently lives there - but as the warmer weather arrives, I'll have to
keep
>a close eye on it - MotherBoard Monitor installed already.  I did take some
>care to insulate the roof directly above node zero to stop the radiant heat
>from the concrete roof tiles in direct sunlight.

If it's anything like my loft, it'll need more than a bit of insulation to
stop Otto overheating to exploding point. I spent (a horrific) three days in
my loft last summer sorting out the insulation, putting a second layer of it
in and building a storage platform.

The first couple of days it was nice outside but not hot, inside the loft it
was sweltering. On the last day it was hot outside but it was unbearable in
the loft. It's a shame I didn't take a thermometer up there! What with the
way PC HSFs cool, if the ambient air temp. is near/above the CPU temp, the
CPU
will suffer. It may be an idea to get a pair of extractor fans on a timer
and use them to pump hot air out of the loft space...

Just my 2?.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!