RE: BT are cheeky f*ckers!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: BT are cheeky f*ckers!
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:50:05 +0100

>Inheriting an ageing badly run copper network - with everyone in the
city
saying that the local loop
>is a millstone around BTs neck - then spending billions on improving
the
quality of the network -
>then having improved the network everybody else says ooh can we have a
share of that please - for
>nowt ???

>Meanwhile the government encouraged some American companies to build
extra
infrastructure which
>wasn't needed, whilst telling BT that fibre to the home was not needed.

Indeed. utterly pointless. So now, rather than competition, we have NTL
about to slide into oblivion, and Telewaste looking to clear up.

>Why the local loop couldn't have been hived off and upgraded by all the
companies everywhere
>only a politician could answer :-)

Would it help? Only if the board of directors was recruited from outside of
the UK.

The problem in my mind is clearly that of incompetency in management, which
seems to be an almost pervasive British illness.

It has been my experience (across several large companies) that the Board
of
Directors is almost exclusively comprised of mind numbingly stupid people
with incredibly poor social skills, who are deliberately kept far away from
the business to minimise the damage that they do, whilst the next level of
management does the *real* work, but has to work in isolation, rather than
involve the board.

Thus delivering companies which are factioned, and cannot work internally,
and staff without any positive direction.

Please note: I am not taking a techie intellectual superiority stance here.
I recall one particular Director of IT who:

a) had to get his secretary to dial the phone for him, as he couldn't grasp
"line1, then dial"
b) started a fire in his office by placing an electric heater on his desk,
then covering it with papers
c) managed to break the secure entry to the car park, by driving his land
rover into the end bay, and smashing the electrics off the wall...

Add to that a catalogue of horrific body odour, one moron (a Chief Exec no
less) with the social grace to refer to one of the coloured guys in the
support team as "monkey boy"

Given that BT's board read's like a Who's Inbred entry, I would be
thoroughly shocked if they could muster a full set of non-webbed toes
between them.

Ian.