RE: Enough CAT5?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Enough CAT5?
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:28:00 +0100

> With more and more wireless technologies available isn't all this
> very soon
> going to be redundant? If the RF-IR link of the ProntoPro/Marantz
> has decent
> range, then that takes care of IR. Very high bandwidth wireless
> connections
> are around the corner which would be fast enough for FMV, and
> wireless PBXs
> are here already (I've got one).
>
> Or am I missing something?

One of the benefits of CAT5 is that it can control LV stuff (eg. HV,
relays,
temp. sensors) as well as Ethernet.

It also offers better immunity to RFI and eavesdropping, and of course is
very cheap at around 10p/m.

Given, it is a bugger to retrofit unless you have to seriously upgrade your
decor ;)

Wireless is ideally suited to portable applications, but for fixed
installations, CAT5 has to be cheaper and more reliable.

There - I sit on the middle of the fence :)

James H