Digital Cameras

My dad has just bought a digital camera (pentax e100) while on holiday and
think he's been well suckered by the salesman about the number of photos /
quality but unfortunately he waited till after he bought it before telling
me.

The camera has two modes - 1280 and 640 and three quality modes in each -
best, better, good.

I take it that the different quality modes reduce the colour depth but I'm
curious about by how much. If the camera is 10bit x 3 does this mean that
on
good it'll be doing a total of 10 bit colour ?

For viewing the pictures on a TV what would be considered acceptable and
what about printing ?

Thanks,
Jeff.