RE: PBX and Infra red keyboard and piping lots of video streams

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: PBX and Infra red keyboard and piping lots of video streams
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:48:22 +0100

> - PBX - I want to have around 8 to 10 telephone points in my new
> home - with
> a telephone installed most of the time - I realise the REN limit is 4
so
> what is the cheap alternative - PBX ? DECT ? - any
> recommendations about PBX

BT do what is effectively a line amplifier for phone systems and it allows
mximum REN of 11 ... it's (IIRC) less than £50 and I believe that
John Lewis
sell them or you can buy them directly from BT.

> - if so can these use CAT5 sockets ?

Yes...

> - secondly - I know it is possible to have the PC output go to
> SVideo/composite via a graphics card - is it then possible to
> pipe this to a
> kat5 type device so that the output can appear on any TV which is
> connected
> to the kat5 (or via co-ax) ? If so is it further possible to have
> an infra
> red mouse and keyboard in say a couple of rooms so that by
> switching the TV
> to the correct channel, you can then view and control the output
> of your PC
> (eg surf the web) using this set up ? Anyone done this ?

I'm currently using a one for all IR extender but as soon as Keith gets his
IR return board finished then that will be possible using just his KAT5s...

> - finally - I want to have up to 8 video devices plus a few CCTV
cameras
> linked up around the house - kat5.tv seems to only allow 4 - are
> there any
> alternatives which are low budget ?

Just use a few video switchers...

Phil