Re: Bloody BT!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Bloody BT!
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:39:59 +0100

Thing is, I *can* get it, but do I really want to?

I've got ISDN (HH), and AFAIK there's still no direct update from this to
DSL... (of course that may not be true now, as I know they have been
working
on this, but I haven't heard anything for quite a while).

Also, I guess they're going to try & stick me for a £150 upgrade fee to
change to DSL, (even though I pre-registered 2 years ago to avoid this), as
when they offered me the DSL upgrade about a year ago, I turned it down for
several reasons.

....One of which is that they were (and still are?) offering ONLY a USB
modem
on the "home" service, (and I want an ethernet one). This would
totally **CK
up my network infrastructure, as my Proxy server is currently running on
NT4
(so no USB support..)

....Another of which is that I will lose my additional phone numbers, one
of
which is currently used as my home FAX number, so once again I would be
losing functionality.

All in all, apart from being potentially faster (and even that's not
guaranteed because of the contention ratios), DSL is, point for point, in
every way an inferior offering to HH/ISDN...

Oh, and did I mention it would also be more expensive, because my HH charge
includes £15/month inclusive calls, which I'll lose by
"upgrading" to DSL...

Paul G.