RE: House design software

I started using DataBecker's 3D Dream House Designer 2000 (I think that's
what it's called).  You can indeed, generate a floor plan, selecting room
widths etc in 'construction' mode, and then simply move to '3D' (?) mode
which automatically renders your house, and you can move around it in 3D
(up, down, backward, forward).  It seems quite good, once you've got the
hang of it, in providing a pretty good 'realisation' of your plans.

However, IMHO, it takes quite a while to learn how it really works, time
which I haven't obviuously given it, coz I struggle every time I try and
use
it for 30 minutes of 'playing'.  [My own unfair comment, as it probably
justifies the time spent on learning it, by its output].

I haven't been able to use it in any real way for planning HA-type stuff.
I don't think it supports any form of wiring detailing for instance - but
it's not aimed at that arena IMHO.

I vaguely recollect a VISIO-style add-on on the AutomedHome News lists
that advertised itself as being HA-oriented.

If you want a simple, but quite powerful (perhaps too powerful for me!),
tool then I chose it because it was recommended in one of the self-build
magazines, so go for it.

James