RE: Firewalls?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Firewalls?
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:05:31 +0100

BID
> false alarms. No application specific rulesets.

Lockdown 2000 is "scare-ware". Very expensive generates false
alerts and
tells you you've been protected. The idea is, you download the trial, get
scared, and then pay an exhorbitant fee for the software.

> Zone Alarm
> Limited stealth capabilities. Lack of configurability. Not extremenly
> compehrensive protection. Preferable to either BID or LD2K but syill
had a
> number of false alarms. I belove later versions addressed some or all
of
> these but reports I have seen from people online seem to indicate
there is
> still a problem with false alarms.

May be relevant to earlier versions, but according to testing that I've
done, ZA offers full stealth on all ports except those that you have
explicitly opened. Reading through the logs does require a limited
knowledge
of TCP/IP. When used with the "Attack Analyser" feature of
ZoneLog you can
easily differentiate between casual probes and determined attacks.

Tim.