Re: Re: Home networking - tuning

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Home networking - tuning
  • From: "Robin Edwards" <robin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 17:36:30 +0100

Patrick,
Thank you for the ideas.  I've tried straight file xfer monitoring it
with
Netstat Live and there is little difference between the PCs when
downloading
large files.  Troubles seem to come when just generally 'surfing around'.
(ISPEED is a tuning package that allows you to easily set MTU etc then
test performance.  It worked very well, but cant track down authors any
more).
I'm using Deerfields Wingate as a gateway for the the PCs and it works well
in general but I'm sure that somewhere I have some delays, and I suspect it
is something to do with address lookup or loading complex pages.
As for channel bonding, my ISP is freeeserve, and they dont allow it,
well
not on the service type I have.
I just wished I understood more about IP, DNS etc.. robin