RE: Re: OT USB Scanner stops working after a few scans

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT USB Scanner stops working after a few scans
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:57:05 +0100

Might just be a case of poor translation.

I once bought a car Cassette Player and it had a note which read.....

"Take care to use only the supplied screws. If used longer screws
there may
take place such trouble that the inner mechanism will be damaged"

USB probably uses "Positec" devices for current limiting. These
are "self
resetting fuses". When an overload occurs they get hot. When they get
hot,
their resistance increases greatly thereby limiting the current through the
positec. Because the positec now has significant resistance, the low level
of current flowing continues to heat the positec theby keeping the current
at a very low level. When you either switch off the power or unplug the
devices powered by it, the positec cools down and normal operation is
restored.

Its possible that the combined load of the devices is near the trip limit
so
it gradually heats which is why its OK for a few scans before tripping.

Using a POWERED hub with its own PSU may hels as this would be able to
supple the USB maximum from EACH port.

Keith

during scans can be
> > > caused by an excessive power load on the USB ports - make
sure that
> > > all USB devices with external power supplies are switched ON
> > > prevent them drawing power from the bus). If some devices
are self-
> > > powered (ie no external power supply) you may need a
"powered USB
> > > hub". In some cases the problems are caused by a tiny
power drain

<phillip.harris1@v...> wrote:

> > > source,
mains, according