RE: Re: IIS Worm

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: IIS Worm
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:21:15 +0100

I have already confirmed all of the steps you mention but still have shares
re-appearing after every re-boot and can not browse from the server. I have
re-applied SP6 and all patches to no avail. I am starting to think that the
only way to sort this is to format the system drive and reinstall which is
going to put my server out of action for a long time. My clients have
already been without their web sites for 24 hours now. This really is a
major set back for me. If anyone has any more ideas about how to get this
working again please let me know. Thanks for all the assistance so far.

Graham

sure that
> IE is
> > > not trying to use some mythical DUN to connect.
> > >
> > No DUN settings at all (never have been as the server never had a
> modem on
> > it)
> >
> > > In the same place, check any proxy settings are valid. Try
turning
> > > the proxy off completely in case it just happens to be
temporarily
> > > unavailable.
> > >
> > No proxy settings either
> >
> > > If Connection Wizard is missing files, it seems that the IE
5.5
> > > installation may be compromised. I suggest going back to IE
6
> since
> > > it should install appropriate files for the IE 6 connection
wizard
> > > assuming you downloaded the appropriate files for it. For a
LAN
> > > connection it is as you say pretty pointless anyway other
than it
> > > selecting LAN as the routing mechanism which can be acheived
> through
> > > options.
> > >
> > Can't go back to 6, it updated online and files were not
> downloaded. I am
> > now trying to copy across a complete set of windows update files
> > reinstall IE5. Problem is this is a lot of data and going via a
slow
> > pcAnywhere link!
> >
> > > Is IE reporting any error messages?
> > >
> > No, other than it eventually fails to find the page.
> >
> > > Try browsing to the local machine. You should be able to
browse
> to:
> > > http://machinename/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)
> > > http://localhost/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)
> > > http://127.0.0.1/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)
> > > http://yourstaticip/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)
> > >

> > It says page can not be displayed, which is as expected as web
> server is
> > disabled until I am sure everything is secure! However it did go
> straight to
> > the page, so problem seems to be around the routing rather than
IE.

> > > The path and filename is optional but you will likely get
> > > an "unauthorised" response if there is nothing
appropriate in the