RE: Re: IIS Worm

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: IIS Worm
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:39:34 +0100

> Look in Tools -> Internet Options -> Connection. Make sure that
IE is
> not trying to use some mythical DUN to connect.

No DUN settings at all (never have been as the server never had a modem on
it)

> In the same place, check any proxy settings are valid. Try turning
> the proxy off completely in case it just happens to be temporarily
> unavailable.

No proxy settings either

> If Connection Wizard is missing files, it seems that the IE 5.5
> installation may be compromised. I suggest going back to IE 6 since
> it should install appropriate files for the IE 6 connection wizard
> assuming you downloaded the appropriate files for it. For a LAN
> connection it is as you say pretty pointless anyway other than it
> selecting LAN as the routing mechanism which can be acheived through
> options.

Can't go back to 6, it updated online and files were not downloaded. I am
now trying to copy across a complete set of windows update files to
reinstall IE5. Problem is this is a lot of data and going via a slow
pcAnywhere link!

> Is IE reporting any error messages?

No, other than it eventually fails to find the page.

> Try browsing to the local machine. You should be able to browse to:
> http://machinename/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)
> http://localhost/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)
> http://127.0.0.1/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)
> http://yourstaticip/dirfromwwwroot/file.htm(l)

It says page can not be displayed, which is as expected as web server is
disabled until I am sure everything is secure! However it did go straight
the page, so problem seems to be around the routing rather than IE.

> The path and filename is optional but you will likely get
> an "unauthorised" response if there is nothing appropriate
in the
> root of wwwroot for the local host to display.
>
> This will help decide whether it is merely routing of some form or a
> problem with the IE installation.
>
> BTW on a security note while you are checking this, if the above
> reports a directory list when using not path or filename, you will
> need to disable directory browsing from the IIS Management Console on
> the wwwroot tree.
>
> HTH.
>
> Mark.

BTW for problem 1 I had turned off all shares manually but the keep coming
back every time I reboot.

Graham