Re: IIS Worm

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: IIS Worm
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:49:41 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Graham Howe" <graham@s...> wrote:
> 1. When I reboot the server it still shares all my drives yet a
search of

The shares need removing manually. This is simply a matter of
disabling sharing on each drive or directory which has been shared
(right click from explorer and turn off).

The easiest way to find all shares available is to browse to your
computer from 'Network Places' and use that list as the guide as to
what you need to unshare or use:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer
Management

Then look in the shared folders -> shares option in the tree. Right
click to stop sharing in the same way as explorer.

Be careful when changing sharing for web folders since you might
compromise IIS sharing. I recommend only altering permissions on the
InetPub tree from the IIS Management Console.

> 2. For some reason I can not browse from my server to the internet

This is usually down to the gateway setting being incorrect or lack
of DNS servers. Check that the gateway field points to the correct
address and the DNS fields have not been compromised.

Also check that you have not gone overboard with IP filtering
security since you might be locking yourself in from the net. What
error(s) are you getting (if any) from IE?

HTH.

Mark.