RE: DDAR Speakers

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DDAR Speakers
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:56:57 +0100

> Hi Phil, I have not heard any of these speakers so I do not know what
they
> will sound like ;-) I just need some informed advice as to where is a
good
> place to start!

Depends on your priorities...

> I know you are "genned up" in these sort of things, OK put
it another way,
> what would you buy for your DDAR's?

OK ... I guess I avoided answering the question so here goes.

Scenario 1.

You're looking for a "cheap" solution just to give music. You're
wanting to
use the internal amplifier to save boxes and money. In which case I'd
probably just wander down to Richer Sounds and buy whatever looks nice,
fits
in the allowable space and fits in the budget.

Given the "limitations" of the internal amplifier - 8w, limited
dynamics
etc. (fact of life not a criticism at all) - then the speakers don't make a
huge difference when you're trying to be as cheap as possible.

Scenario 2.

You're using the DDAR to play music in your PC room through a decent-ish
amp
and speakers instead of your PC. (This is likely to be my situation.) You
don't want loads of extra speakers. I already have a reasonable mini system
in the shape of a TEAC Reference 300 playing through TDL RTL2 floorstanders
in there ... what I would really like is a simple mixer with maybe half a
dozen stereo audio inputs to mix together the outputs from the various PCs
(4) the DDAR (1) Laptop (1) CD player (1) and Tuner (1) - OK, so that's
seven stereo inputs and a few spares would be nice.

Anyone got a suitable mixer that they are no longer using or know where I
can get one? Keith, fancy brewing one up? *grin*

Scenario 3.

Small "bedroom" system ... maybe hack the DDAR so that the volume
control
works on the line outs and look at something like the two channel Creative
Labs speaker systems ... the current Dolby Digital / DTS DTT3500 system is
pretty awesome for what it is (heard it at Ken's the other week) and I
understand that the Scan system is pretty good too. There's also an ABiT
system which has received good reviews on Toms Hardware.

Scenario 4.

Just run it through a spare input on your hifi system.

Phil