Re: Cabling the house

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cabling the house
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:15:22 -0000

Right angle drill to drill a hole up through the chipboard and bottom
stud into the cavity between the sheets of plasterboard.

Draper make a nifty device called a "Studfinder" which has a line
of
LEDs that indicate the solidity of the wall behind. Dead easy to use.
Place on part of the wall you know is hollow and hold the button in,
it calibrates itself to the thickness of the wall and you then move
it over the surface. As the surface becomes more solid the line of
LED's increases indicating the stud.

It can be a bit "iffy" determining the EXACT location of the stud
but
the method I use it to mark the wall where the LED's light from each
direction and take the centre point. The 4 disco speaker cabinets I
attached to a ceiling using that method never fell down even when
some prat swung on one !!!

If you encounter a stud part way up the wall you can get flexible
drill shafts that allow you to get in but only about 1 metre and you
would need a large hole to gain access with it. I guess it would also
be quite difficult, if not impossible, to control.

Once you have your hole in the stud, cut out the box in the
plasterboard. Use a thin plastic conduit to push up to the box hole.
Attach string to the conduit and pull the conduit out. Use the string
to pull the cable in. Or you could use a slightly large conduit and
feed the cable through it.

Good luck !!!

Keith