RE: (ukha_d) OT: Becoming an IT Contractor

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: (ukha_d) OT: Becoming an IT Contractor
  • From: peter.white@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:20:34 +0100

Paul

Up until a couple of months ago I was considering the same thing (I'm an IT
Project Manager, but not really a techie).  In my current role I work with
several major financial companies in the UK and Ireland, and without
exception
they are all cutting back on the number of contactors they employ.  This is
partly because they were still running heavy from the Y2k work (and Euro
migration in Ireland), but equally they are also shedding contractors to
cut
back on costs.  My company also seems to work on head-count rather than raw
cost, thus if we need to save money it will be the contractors that are
lost
first, as other than early termination clauses there's no other liability.

Talking to several of my ex-colleagues who went independent, many of them
are
concerned about where the next contact will come from.  A couple of them
have
had to accept significant cuts in order to retain their contract.

Personally, I'm waiting for a bit to see what happens with the market.

Pete