RE: OT: Terrorism

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: OT: Terrorism
  • From: Jennifer Lowe <jenni@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:13:26 +0100 (BST)

> After yesterday we have to assume it is better for
> them to blow the plane up than to allow the hijacker

> to have control, how ever distasteful that might
> be.

It seems that is what happened at the Pittsburgh
crash.
On the planes that attacked the WTC, and the Pentagon,
it would appear the hijackers took control, because
if your choice is death by bullet/knife/bomb, or death
by flying straight into a building, any pilot would
take the thing into the ground, knowing that his/her
life is gone anyway, along with the lives of those on
board, but you can at least hope to save the lives
of those in the target area. The phrase "sad but true"
has rarely had such meaning......
Without the pilots action in Pittsburg, the death toll
could have been even more devastating than it will
eventually turn out to be, rumour that it was targeted
at Camp David. And military jets were scrambled and
they would have shot down any other aircraft, again
a terrible waste of the lives on board the plane, but
the alternative would have been much worse.

A sad, sad day indeed.....

Jenni