OT: Removing the Keyboard check from a PC Boot

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT: Removing the Keyboard check from a PC Boot
  • From: "Mark Hetherington \(egroups\)" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:09:03 +0100

For various reasons, I recently started digging out [very] old PC parts and
creating a host of very low spec PCs. Seems a shame to have all these small
hard drives and old SIMMs etc sitting in boxes :)

The intention is for them to run on a small linux install for simple tasks
like mail servers etc. Since I will not be using X or any other windows
type
components and I will never need to access them locally (telnet from a PC
elsewhere will be used for anything I need to do), they will not have
monitors (I do not have spare monitors anyway) and preferably will not have
keyboards or mice. The problem comes in during the bootstrap process when
they all hang on the BIOS keyboard check.

Since various "switchers" manage to provide a "fake"
keyboard for bootup of
multiple PCs sharing a single keyboard and mouse combination, I assume that
there is some simple technique to accomplish this.

Anyone have any ideas how to DIY a system to bypass the keyboard check?

Thanks,

Mark.