sparkies part 2

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: sparkies part 2
  • From: "Julian Samphire" <tricky_item@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:22:11 +0100

Hi all,

I have just got off the phone with the sparkies who quoted up my HA
wiring and here's what they said:

162 CAT5 runs, sitting in 35mm deep boxes (all are either double, quad or
six pulls together) £2928.97 - As I worked out the cost of the 2400m of
quoted CAT5 would be £424 this puts the price per run at £15 even though
there are no singles runs

36 CT100 runs, going to existing boxes as above £862

32 Speaker runs using 49x2 to ceiling space (two two each room) and 79x2
around the lounge for main TV £764.67

Lighting - He has the wrong idea here as he's quoted two core to each
controllable light circuit from the garage and also two core from the
garage to each light switch, instead of 4 core to each controllable set
of lights and two core from there down to the switch. Anyway, he quoted
£2533.94 for this.

There will be 23 separate controlled lighting areas around the house so
there will be 23 runs of 4 core cable from the garage to each lighting
area.

8 extra double gang sockets £364 which ironically puts each socket at
£45.50 which is a load higher than the standard £30 they quoted me before
I wanted all this HA stuff

32 way distribution board, with breakers to handle extra load (?).
£1246.42

The sparkie also said in his quote that he would wire the house up using
normal lighting circuits so to have the house complete for when I move
in. I would then put all the X10 modules in and wire up the cat/video and
speakers when I move in. All cables will be marked up and left hanging
out of the sockets. These prices dont include any X10 parts or switches.

If you guys and gals could give me an educated guestimate on this or if
any points stick out like a sore thumb I would appreciate it as I have to

Thanks in advance,

Jules