Hlp with wiring AW10U Appliance Wall Switch

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Hlp with wiring AW10U Appliance Wall Switch
  • From: "Chris Howard" <chris_howard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 08:02:36 -0000

Sorry this is a bit long.....

I have started fitting my X10 units around the house I came to
replace an isolation switch on our en suite shower last night.

The switch is a two pole fused switch with a neon indicator that is
used to shut off power to the shower pump when not in use. I thought
it would be a good idea to replace with an X10 applicance switch so
that I can get comfort to turn of the switch when we set the alarm to
leave the house.

The switch has two cables behind it both having Live, Neutral and
Earth. The original switch has the live and neutrals switched and the
earths are commoned together and then attached to the switch surround
and wall box.

The AW10's have three terminals Live Feed, Load and Neutral. I
presumed that I could take the existing Live and Load cables and
common the two neutrals together to get the switch to work.

So I now have Load (from the Shower) into the LOad terminal, Live
(from the consumer unit) into the LIve termnal and the two neutrals
together in the neutral terminal.

Hey presto the show stays on all the time??? and the neon light on
the AW10 stays on all the time.

I guessed that maybe I had the Live and Load the wrong way round and
swapped them but it still does the same thing. Also the switch itself
doesn't seem to do anything - if you press the switch either way the
shower and neon indicator stay on.

Any pointers from people that may have got this working???