RE: Something to Make TIVO owners cry.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Something to Make TIVO owners cry.
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:20:10 +0100

I won't be crying just yet, except for a more powerful and cheaper PVR!
:-)

I can expand Tivo to two 100GB drives, or greater if available for the
cost of the drives, not bad really given that that's less than =A3500
these days and that will give about 500 hours IIRC, of recording time in
basic quality, which these guys always quote for impact! The PVR idea is
great and works incredibly well, in fact, I very, very rarely watch an
off-air broadcast now due to Tivo and the VCR's are relegated to playing
old VHS pre-recorded stuff now!

Yes the LAN idea is a good one, but you need a Replay box for each node,
hmmm, is it me or does that reek of a rip-off? While I distribute Tivo
around using Keith's amazingly wonderful KAT5 modules, for a lot less
cash than buying another PVR!

When I was in San Jose about 18 months ago Replay and Tivo were
head-to-head over the PVR market, but then, CA is usually always well
ahead of the pack in technology terms as a general rule, so these things
were selling well over there. Us Brits seem not to bother, either that
or our droids don't sell as well as they're droids! The PVR market will
come in the UK for time-shifting, of that I have absolutely no doubt,
but it will take time for non techies on the street to suss what it
actually is and can do, Currys and Comet et all do not help in this
respect in the least. Interestingly in the States Tivo seemed to be the
machine of preference, Philips and Sony seemed to agree!

Customers are very, very confused on the "digital revolution"
recordable
products and even just plain old DVD as you have VHS, DVD, DVD-RW,
DVD+RW, PVR and DVD-RAM, to most people it's just some letters for some
kind of format and many do not even understand the difference between
DVD and VHS, so what hope do you have?

K.