Sparkies

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Sparkies
  • From: "Julian Samphire" <tricky_item@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:07:20 +0100

Hi,

I've just got a price back from the housing company that is building my
house. I've asked them to put in some cabling for my HA stuff before they
finish the house. I have just been given a price of £8700 for this task
as I was wondering if you guys could take a look through my list and see
if they are taking the mick (which I think they are by about 5k).

This is the info I got from the electrician who quoted the job up for the
housing company (shame he wont give me the prices too)

2400m cat5 - 162 runs
540m ct010 - 36 runs
900m 1.5 cable (lighting)
500m speaker cable (to roof spaces) 24runs
Power is standard for the house so no change here...

All this is going to be router to node0 which happens to be in the garage
on the wall touching the house. The sparkie claims this will take up to
three weeks to complete. Also note that the price _doesnt_ include any HA
stuff, this is just for cabling.

I have put a few prices together going on maplin as a guide, but the
electrical company should be able to get cheaper prices anyway:

2400m cat5 = £424
540m ct100 = £243
500m speaker cable = £360
900m lighting cable = £200

Total = £1227

I know some of you guys have done your own HA wiring, do you think it
would take one guy three weeks at 7 hours a day to do this? and if so is
6000pounds way too much for 105 hours work, putting the guys wage to
something around 66 pounds an hour!

Any info/moral suport apreciated,

Regards,

Jules - just watching his HA dreams falling apart for his new home