RE: Off Topic Posts (Again) soon to end I hope

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Off Topic Posts (Again) soon to end I hope
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:14:02 -0000

Hi All,

Just my little bit.....

Yes, there is a fair bit of [OT] discussion, and yes I am guilty of contributing to it on occasions. Having said that, a lot of the [OT] is originated in genuine HA threads or closely related areas.

The BIG difficulty is that what is covered by the term "HA" is different to everyone of us.

I suppose strictly speaking that Home Entertainment has no place within HA but I very much doubt that you will find ANY HA Enthusiasts who dont have loads of AV Kit.

Likewise, PC's have their place if they are used for control of, or programming of, HA systems.

Security - again, that is a field in its own right, but we are all integrating these systems together to automate our homes.

This is a friendly group where we are all hopefully good friends even if some of the discussions have become a bit heated in the past !  I believe that the majority of the people who have left the list due to the volume of traffic were lurkers who seldom if ever posted to the list. WHY didnt they say something to the list first.  In the past when things have got a bit out of hand, a brief flurry of discussion has calmed things down ( for a few days at least ).

The reason I set up KAT5-Users was to avoid adding extra traffic to the UKHA list but despite that there is still a lot of interest shown here (for which I am very grateful). When Mark posted details of the new searchable UKHA archive I searched for KAT5. There were about 10 times as many posts in UKHA as there were in the KAT5-Users list. Since my list was mentioned here today I have had 10 new member sign up :-)

Since I lost access to POP3 email at work where I could read the messages as they arrived, I now get deluged with around 100 messages when I get home. This has made me very aware of how long it takes to trawl through them in the evening. I have to admit that I often forget to trim the preceding messages when replying and it is even worse if I use the Yahoo interface as you cant see the numerous other untrimmed replies. One person forgetting to trim isnt too bad, but on a long running thread it can be way too much.

I for one would like to see the group stay the way it is with just a bit more restraint on all our part in trying to reduce the [WAY OT] stuff that has absolutely no connection with any of the HA topics whatsoever. Having said that, it has just made me think "what is off topic".

The recent treads about GPS have led me to discover that even Autoroute 98 has GPS support and I am now interested in getting a receiver for my car. ( This decision has been helped by the fact it took me 4 1/2 hours to do the 127 miles >from I am already planning to have a PC in the boot for an MP3 Jukebox possibly controlled by a dashboard mounted (REMOVEABLE) iPaq.  Whilst that is more Car Automation than Home Automation is will involve all the same techniques as the home versions.

The things that make this list the best place to hang out are....

1.  Everyone is friendly
2.  There is such a wealth of knowledge that encompasses every aspect of what we are all tring to achieve, be it integration of hardware, configuration of software, or creating bespoke hardware/software >from

Since someone (sorry, cant remeber who) posted details of how to configure Outlook to group messages like a newsreader, it had become a doddle to delete threads of no interest, although I suppose that that was an Off Topic post and shouldnt be allowed. ( Please Note : I do NOT consider that OT as it is very useful info that I am sure helped others as well ). Imagine the response asking how to configure Outlook on certain other groups.... RTFM A**Hole.

If people dont like the [OT] they can always delete it just like they delete any other spam. At least with this list you can choose NOT to receive it in the first place. IIRC, this list was set up for discussion because the first UKHA list got too busy for some readers. I like this list the way it is an hope that it will continue to be the useful resource that it has proved to be. I am not in favour of general questions being moved to private email as there would be now way to search the archive at a later date. The only things that IMHO should be moved to private email are where the topic of discussion is of a purely private nature but because we are all friends here I believe most of us already do that anyway.

Just my feelings.

Keith

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor