Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 7:19 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Off Topic Posts (Again) soon to end I hope

Look guys, I agree that we do get loads of off topic posts and that I probably contribute to most of them but there *IS* still the central core of HA related questions and discussion that goes on.  I subscribe to several groups including a home cinema group and I think there’s maybe one posting a month if we’re lucky on there … everyone is too scared of being shot down for saying something and the whole thing is dead.

My opinion of it is that if a thread is diverging from what I’m interested in then I can always delete it but if I don’t get it in the first place then I can’t decide whether to filter it out … after all, what the hell have model helicopters got to do with HA? Sure, this *IS* a HA newsgroup but it has evolved into far more than that – it has become a great little club. I can’t imagine what it would be like to sit on the outside reading this group as a “lurker” – however I can’t imagine being able to remain a lurker with such a friendly crowd of guys and gals.

This group is great … I hope that the guys out there can see that it is great *BECAUSE* it is the way it is and that restricting it will diminish it in some way and maybe even kill it.

Someone I was discussing this matter with today mentioned that because of the number of emails that come through he couldn’t read the group at work as his boss could see all these emails piling up … that’s not a problem with the group, that’s a problem with the user trying to do something that they shouldn’t be!

If the decision is made to split the group then so be it … if the decision is made to only allow directly HA related questions then same again. However I think that we’ll all be the poorer for it.

Phil