RE: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:54:46 -0000

>I've asked the question before - but we have to work out what we are:
>
>- Are we a group of friends, who have a common interest in HA, but want
>to build a community able to talk about anything whether it's related
>HA or not?
>
>OR
>
>- Are we trying to build a forum that will be a useful resource for
>those coming into a new, exciting, technology area, but who want to use
>this as a place to learn about the various technologies, not wander
into
>a general "Village Meeting" of people who happen to use these
>technologies?

A good question Mark. My own position is very clearly on the side of
community.
I feel that any attempt to separate the people from the technology
removes the life from the discussion.

As an example, if you pop onto many newsgroups, you will find very
technically skilled people, whose opinion you will not respect one iota,
because it exists within no frame of reference.

Because of the chit-chat which frames the HA related discussion, you get
a feel for the people, you can build an image (aided by the real life
meets) of that person, and therefore decide how much weight you actually
give their opinions.

Anyone asking specific HA questions, or just starting out gets dozens of

But the real value of those replies comes from knowing that the
respondee isn't some closeted geek, but is a real-life person, with a
job, other interests and so on..

Ever and always, my opinions only...

Ian.