RE: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:24:06 -0000

I don't know whether I'm "respected", but I am long-serving, and
I did
call Mark McCall earlier today, so maybe I'm the one to whom he was
alluding ;-)

I joined this list because I was interested in Home Automation. When I
joined, in early 1998, that was what we talked about. When we moved to
egroups (now Yahoo!), we averaged 2-3 messages per day.

In 1999, we started seeing messages on Home Networking as well. Now, the
"market segment" of people interested in Home Automation is
probably a
very similar match to those interested in Home Networking, so, despite a
flurry of messages over several months ago keeping on topic or not, we
ended up agreeing that Home Networking was "OK". By the end of
1999, we
were averaging 4 messages per day.

In 2000, we started growing rapidly, and the topics broadened. It became
obvious that "The World of Home Automation" included lots of
interfacing
with A/V kit, and the messages started to wander into "other" A/V
areas
>from
the pluses and minues of various ISPs. Again, there was some rumbling
about whether this was "on-topic", but overall, it was agreed
that it
was OK. By the end of 2000, we were averaging 20-30 messages per day.

In 2001, we have exploded. We are now averaging 80-100 messages per day
- more messages have been posted TODAY than in the whole of October
1998. The topics have expanded in another two areas:

1: There is now far more regular face-to-face contact between us all. A
couple of "major meets" a year, "London drinks meets"
most months, and
"visits" every few weeks. These get written up, and generally
start with
posting about the HA content of the meets. They do, however, have a
tendancy to follow with a chain of "social ramble" messages.

2: There are far more general "PC support" messages. Some of
these are
about HA requirements of PCs, but some are like - (and I pick this as an
example because it's still fresh in our minds, not because the
contributor was an offender against what has now emerged as the "Group
Norm") - the question about Windows XP drivers for a UMAX Scanner. I
cannot see ANY relevance to HA in these. The problem is - we have a
large number of friendly, generous, and knowledgable people on the
group, and this is actually quite a good forum to get the answer to this
kind of question quickly!

I've asked the question before - but we have to work out what we are:

- Are we a group of friends, who have a common interest in HA, but want
to build a community able to talk about anything whether it's related to
HA or not?

OR

- Are we trying to build a forum that will be a useful resource for
those coming into a new, exciting, technology area, but who want to use
this as a place to learn about the various technologies, not wander into
a general "Village Meeting" of people who happen to use these
technologies?

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher