RE: (ukha_d) Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: (ukha_d) Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)
  • From: peter.white@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:21:03 +0000

I'm not as techy as most of you, so I don't post much, but here's my
opinio=
n:

Firstly, I don't mind the 'off-topic' posts.  To be honest, if I had a
prob=
lem
with W2K (as I have in the past) the first place I'd ask would be here.
Th=
is is
partly out of convenience (I can't be bothered to find another discussion
l=
ist
and get used to all their customs), partly out of trust, and mainly
because=
know I'll get the answer.  I work in IT S/W, and could ask the guys here,
b=
ut I
don't have time for the 'Bill Gates is evil' lecture after every question.

The other OT posts about other techy bargains and such like are also fine
-=
we
all have interests other than just HA, but the nature of it suggests that
they'll be in the gadget/electrical area, and we all like a bargain.

The bit I do get bored of is the 'chat'.  At first is was amusing, but I
no=
find myself having to block-delete huge swathes of emails that generally
on=
ly
interest a handful of people.  My in-box rules shove all HA stuff to
anothe=
folder, but after my last hols, I had over 600 messages, of which maybe
15%=
were
HA or off-topic (as described above).

Therefore, I'd be reluctant to revert to a pure HA forum, but would
welcome=
bit less of the chat. Anything of 50 messages a day, for me, becomes
annoyi=
ng.

=A30.02.

Pete

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <mark@a...> wrote:

> I've just had an email from a long time member of the mailing list on
the
old chestnut of off topic posts.  I know this is an old one but I do agree
with him.  For the many of us these post aren't a problem.  For  others
however, they are.  A couple of weeks ago a guy that runs a well know HA
business in the UK unsubscribed too, stating it had got to much for him.
> > Anyone just joining the group must wonder if it's on HA or if
they've
mistakenly joined a Windows support group.  And I'm not pointing the finger
at anyone here...I'm as guilty as anyone.
> > So...what do we do?
> > There are probably no more than around 50 of us that use the list
for
"chat" and OT stuff.  Would those member mind if I added them to
a separate
chat list?
ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx