Building a new server

Graham Howe [mailto:graham@xxxxxxx]
wrote:
> I want to build a server to run windows 2000 server now and
> windows XP server in the future.

I'm also planning on building or buying a server machine.  I'd like
to know if anyone has any experience in keeping PC's quiet.  With
the clock speed for processors going up and up, bigger louder fans
seem to be getting installed.

So whilst I want a relatively fast machine, with a large amount
of disk space, I also want to keep the hum to a minimum.
Can you get modern CPU's (maybe underclocked) without fans?
Are these new 100Gb hard-disks noisey?
Do all 3D graphics cards have fans?

Rob

--