RE: Re: WEIRD networking problem

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: WEIRD networking problem
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:02:35 +0100

How are the networks set up?

I first of all just put XP Pro on my server to replace W2K and it
detected and communicated fine with the other two machines. However,
when my IT guru guy arrived a few days later it turned out that XP was
using some weird and wonderful TCP/IP config that even he hadn't seen
before. Of course, being thick, I was blissfully unaware of this until
he pointed out that according to what he could see the machines
shouldn't have been talking at all to one another. The conclusion was
that it was the "Networking Wizard" that had used some kind of
patch
type thing to let the machines talk. At this point only the one machine
had XP, the other two were Win ME.

The problem I had was that the server would not see the DDAR's but when
changed to IPX or a pukka TCP/IP then everything was fine. I would not
have this type of problem but I have seen it on another peer-to-peer
network and I know what you are talking about. I will try to get Pete
(the guru) to have a go with the other peer-to-peer and see if that
solves it. Just FYI the other network is XP>Win ME so it's probably a
similar if not the same problem.

Excuse me if the explanation is not that good 'cause I am not into
networking other than I expect to plug it all together and work, the
technicalities are for others to work out :-)

Told you I was thick!

K.